Psst! Pass the peas please!
Farmer’s Market Fresh Field Peas
Fresh field peas such as Lady, Purple Hull, Zipper, and Crowder Peas may be found at your local Farmer’s Market in the warmer seasons. Lady Peas are a favorite of mine.
- 2 cups fresh lady peas 330 grams
- 1 cup water (240 milliliters) 240 grams
- 2 tablespoons plant-based butter 30 grams
- ⅛ teaspoon table salt 1 gram
- Rinse fresh peas. Add water and peas to a saucepan. Bring to a boil, and turn down to a simmer for 20 minutes. Place lid on ajar half way through to prevent water from completely steaming away. Aim to have about 2 tablespoons pot liquor left when done.
- Remove from heat, and add butter and salt.
Nutrition Per Serving: 140 calories, 5 grams fat, 1 gram saturated fat, 7 grams protein, 18 grams carbohydrate, 6 grams fiber, 122 milligrams sodium